
A mate of mine delivered an iBook to me yesterday that was making strange noises and displaying a flashing question mark at startup. I asked him if he had a back up of the drive, because I know that sound quite well and it almost always means terminal hard drive failure. Fortunately, he had backed up not too long ago. Tried all the usual things and a few others. Drive definitely dead. So I dismantled the laptop which is a bit scary and eventually ended up with a pile of bits, about 30 tiny screws, a magnet, assorted bits of plastic but most importantly the drive itself. Fitted the drive into an external enclosure and tried to fire it up. Still dead as predicted. One last chance.. I have put the drive into plastic bag and put it in the freezer for the night. I still don't expect this to work because I don't think the head is jammed, but apparently, the freezing process causes a the drive head to contract slightly and can release an otherwise kaput disk. Will report back tomorrow.
2 comments:
What happened? Any joy?
Afraid it was well dead and deceased. An ex-harddrive. Brown bread, gonner. etc
Post a Comment