Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Colour Pink




In general, I have never been very fond of the colour pink. It seems to me that if you took all the pink things that exist, and made them a sort of moody red instead, then the whole world would look slightly better. Now this may seem a bit extreme, but the trouble is that I have a four year old daughter who has an obsession with pinkness and it is really ruining the decor. Every time I look around the house there is some dreadful pink thing lurking in the corner and it is doing my head in. Pink dolls, pink dresses, pink toys, pink books, pink pink bloody pink - I hate it. It really is a foul colour, and it should be banned everywhere. The only exception I can think of, is when it is used in the sex industry.

Anyway, last week this flowery thing suddenly burst into bloom here in the Mews. It is very nice, especially when you look at it really closely, but I still think it would look better if it came in another colour. According to my mate James, it is some sort of geranium that is native to the island of Madeira, which probably means that it grows wild there. I have a nightmarish vision of an island covered with millions of tiny pink flowers, miles and miles of them spreading out as far as the horizon. For me, it would be enough to bring on thoughts of suicide.
For Ellie however, it would be as near to paradise as she could ever imagine.

1 comment:

myriam said...

your daughter is on the right track. you know: pink is good for you, you should try it, too! ;-)